Wednesday 31 October 2012

Altered Book lesson - Image transfers........

Helllloooooooo everyone,

I hope you are all well? I also hope any blogger friends in the U.S. are all OK after that horrific storm, I know some of you are in that area??

Anyhoo, the lovely Elizabeth over at Altered book lover asked us to play with image transfers for one of the last lessons of our amazing course (thank-you soooooo much Elizabeth x).  If you would like to see Elizabeth's incredibly inspiring and comprehensive tutorial please pop on over here.

I had a good play with packing tape and multi-medium transfers but have to admit that this page is not yet finished but I would like to share a couple of finished spreads based on another technique (using gesso as the transfer medium!!) I spotted on Claudine Hellmuth's blog last week, the you-tube demo can be seen here.

The first spread is using what I am now sure was a photocopy as there was no bleeding of ink when I rubbed the paper off!!  I have left the background very plain just using acrylic paint and soluble wax crayons to create a frame........


As you can see, the transfer was very clear!! I decided to tint the faces a little with promarkers and inked the edges of the torn card that I had used to try the technique on but chose to leave the rest well alone!!

The second spread was done with the same technique but I used printed images this time.........


The result wasn't so clear and the ink ran a lot when I was rubbing the paper off the back of the transfer and it got quite messy ha ha ha.  The good thing I suppose was that the gesso base could be 'washed', removing the smudged ink, this resulted in a more faded transfer which I quite like!! Even some of the colour stayed!!
The page was coloured with acrylic paint and acrylic ink (my gorgeous daughter was in hysterics watching me blow the yellow ink around the page with a straw for some reason!!), the edge was stamped with a web I found in my stash and additional images were added from free printable collage sheets I found on the web (really sorry but I can't remember where from exactly).  The transfer images were then collaged on too.

I would also like to share my altered book niche with you all.  I completed this exercise right at the beginning of the course and it is still really a 'work in progress', here goes........




If you would like to see the lesson detailing the 'how' please pop on over here.
I am hoping to make a small handbound journal to fit in the niche before the course has finished.

Finally I would like to share a couple of additional collage spreads I have done in my book.  They have been created using some papermania/docraft papers from my stash and some images from a travel brochure, the blue butterfly and red tags are from a Hot of the Press tag book................









Apologies for the long ish post, I'm trying to play catch up ha ha ha.

Huge hugs blogger friends. Thank-you so much for popping by and leaving a comment if you feel you would like to.

Dawn x

10 comments:

elle said...

Don't apologize, I'm catching up as well. The niche is brilliant. Well done. I'm still perfecting transfers. Your additional pages are wonderful. It'll be such a great keepsake.

Terrie said...

What a beautiful book! I just love your niche - you've been so good at following through - I tapered off after about lesson 8 or 9 and just haven't got back to it. I keep reading Elizabeth's lessons though - she shares SO many techniques.
Thanks for the book recommendation - I have read the Anne Rice books and just love them. I also really like her witch series though it was a little lighter fare.

Karen said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!! Your pages are amazing Dawn! I love the brightness & balance of the Eastern pages...just superb. But I am really jealous that your transfers look so good...mine are usually rubbish haha! HUGS xxx

Terrie said...

Thanks for the visit and I hope you do get a chance to participate in a challenge or two now and then. I find them fun and give a little direction when I need it, but they're also a bit addicting and I find that I spend all my art time doing challenge stuff instead of just creating for me! As usual, gotta find the balance.....

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Well, Dawn, you certainly have been working hard lately! Your niche came out beautifully, and the I love the idea to place another smaller journal into it! Your transfers are amazing--I will have to try some other techniques soon.

Thank you for all your visits and very kind words of concern!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Well, Dawn, you certainly have been working hard on your AB. You niche came out beautifully, and I love the idea of putting a smaller journal inside it. Your transfers are excellent--I hope to try some of the other techniques soon.

Thank you for all your visits and kind words of concern!

Carol Plume said...

Hi dawn, just been having a catch up with your gorgeous blog. I haven't tried that technique it looks like you've got it off pat..... Great pages xx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm thrilled. I can now leave comments on your blog. This is one amazing post. I LOVE the niche and the added pages. I am a big fan of Asian inspired art, and these pages spoke to me. I'm thrilled to see the niche, too. I'll add it to my review, if you don't mind.

I noticed BJ sent my mailing address. I am so glad she did, since I was unable to leave comments and couldn't access my e-mail. When life gives me lemons, they are the pits!

BJ said...

Dawn - your AB is amazing, I love all your creativity and different pages and colour and techniques. Have to say my most favouritest is the poppy niche - how fantastic is that? Have you hand painted the poppies? It is super. Oh and plesae tell me what white pen you use as you seem to be having much better luck than me. BJ

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all your work...you've been busy! I am going to try the image transfer on my next project. Love the niche...that red is lovely. xo Evie