Saturday 29 June 2013

Journal play........

Evening all,

here is another spread from my large, old book journal........




Very much inspired by Dina Wakley's new book - Art Journal Freedom (lol I would highly recommend!!).

Materials used - acrylic ink, black acrylic, black copic brush pen, white gel pen, various stencils, gesso and an image from an old magazine (painted black to create the silhouette).

Ooh nearly forgot!! The background was done using acrylic ink. I primed the pages with gesso first, made sure this was dry, spritzed with water, dropped on acrylic ink randomley, squished the pages together and peeled them back carefully and quickly (if that makes sense lol). I have found that spritzing with water first helps the inks flow more successfully. The inks once dried had left a fab border shape, which I first outlined with a fine-liner before colouring the rest of the space with a copic brush marker for speed!!!!!!!!

Ha ha ha, my journalling may seem very contradictory (if you can read it??) The main black bit refers to following your heart but personally I have found that mine tends to lead me in the wrong directions even when my gut is screaming at me not to listen to it!! The other main journaling is in white on the sillhouette, the rest is just ridiculously random, just like me!!!!! I think this page was very much me giving myself a damned good 'talking to'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks for popping by and leaving a comment if you feel you would like to, your time and thoughts mean an awful lot to me.

Huge hugs

Dawn x

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the black background and the images. The trick I think my friend is to get the heart and the gut together.....(in default choose the gut, it's your inner self keeping you out of trouble, at least that's what I do) LOL xox

Gill said...

Thanks for telling us how you made your page - I'm new to this and I'm always keen to know what products you used - there's so much choice!!
Would you recommend Dina's book for a beginner??

Sandy said...

Great pages and wonderful sentiment.
sandy

Cocofolies said...

Hi Dawn, I love your page !!! The technique you used is fun and gives really nice results, and of course I love the sentiments you put into it ! And I think we have many common points hmm... (in particular about the (wrong) directions of love our heart told us to go ha ha... :))) Hugs, Coco xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I seem to be MIA, mainly because I've been visiting people on lists other than my left sidebar.

Your journal pages are fantastic. I like the concept of the frame. It's fantastic!!

Karen said...

Really fabulous page sweetheart! HUGS xxx

Gio said...

Hello dear, your page is just gorgeous! Our art says a lot about us. And , hey, your handwriting is perfect!

I have those acrylic inks at home..never used them, don't ask me why!

Traceyr said...

Great pages Dawn. So the black is created with a copic marker? What is the white pen you've used. It has written beautifully on that black.

Love the ink spodges too.

:)

Terrie said...

I can see the Dina connection but still you've retained your own style. That smooshy, splotchy painty background is perfect!