blimey! 2 posts in 2 days, must be something in the water ha ha!!
The lovely Elizabeth over at Altered Book Lover asked us to play with pockets for this lesson. What a lot of wonderful ideas and instruction she gave us too, do go and have a peek if you can.
Well, me being me, I came up with at least one idea that wasn't exactly to brief but I had to go with it.........
Ha ha, a curtain with some very dodgy stitching!! I prepped my page first and cut a window. I realised I would need to reinforce the page to support the curtain so I added some thin card which has done the job nicely without adding too much bulk. I stamped the background with some Andy Skinner lovelies before adding an acrylic glaze. I have added some decorative tape to frame the window. The curtain was made using a scrap of fabric from my stash and 'tied' using a safety pin (thank-you Karen, the safety pin was a brilliant idea and works perfectly). The curtain is hung in the window using invisible thread.
A page was glued to the back of the window, allowing a small pocket at the bottom of the frame so that I could tuck in the distressed sewing pattern tag, again stamped from the same Andy Skinner set.
This pocket was made from a scrap of acetate from a cheesecake box, thoroughly cleaned first of course!! I stamped The Octopode Factory's Cheshire cat using stazon and coloured him in with promarkers, the pocket has been attached using electrical tape. The Octopode's Mad Hatter had to make an appearance too , along with an additional Cheshire cat to go in the pocket. Thanks to another fab idea courtesy of Karen Mad Hatter has been linked to Chesire cat with a coloured piece of string - lol, looks like he is under control at last, or is he.................?
This pocket was made to house my first tag from my first blog post. The electrical tape came out again, I just love the bold colours you can get it in. The pocket itself was made from the mesh of a Babybel pack, ha ha my children love these little cheeses so there is normally some lurking in my fridge!!
For my final offering I decided to have a go at the torn page technique Elizabeth beautifully demonstrates in her lesson. To preserve pages in my book I chose to use some of the pages that were removed at the beginning of the course, these were torn to size, painted, stamped and stenciled before being glued to the base page in order to create the pockets.
Here it is with its respective tags in place.
These are the tags I made to go in the pockets. I have used a Dovecraft plastic template to create the tags from plain card, these were then coloured using distress inks. The mermaid images are all courtesy of The Graphics Fairy who very generously hunts out and provides wonderful vintage images to download and use for free in your craft projects. The tags have all been doodled on using metallic markers and purple ish fibres have been added to finish.
Wow, thank-you Elizabeth, I had sooooooo much fun with this lesson, really got the imagination going!! I hope you all like them too.
Thanks for taking the time to have a peek.
Hugs x x x x